Very first image with the camera!
It wasn’t an absolutely horrible night, weather-wise. Not good, but not bad. Lots of very high haze, enormous amount of sky-glow from street lights. And those yahoos left the baseball field lights on for some reason. So the conditions from an astronomy point of view were pretty bad. Lots of atmospheric turbulence, lots of haze. Ick.
The 11” Celestron worked quite well, but conditions were so poor that trying to use any magnification above about 40X was pretty hopeless. At 40X Saturn was absolutely stunning, a pale gold jewel flanked by two moons. But kick it up to anything over 100X and it turned into a rippling, washed out mess. Oh, well.
Anyway, I did try the camera despite the poor seeing conditions. Lots of issues going on there. The camera was working fine. The two main problems were A) trying to get a good focus, and B) the horrible, horrible software they give you for the Mac. There are literally no instructions at all for the image capture software. I mean absolutely none. No manual, no text files, nothing. So you’re pretty much on your own trying to figure out what the hell is going on.
Focusing was a real chore. Get close, closer, closer, then just brush the focuser, and bang, it slips out of focus in the other direction.
Still don’t know what the hell was up with the software. I managed to capture a single, semi-usable image of Saturn with it before it crashed and burned. Re-started the program, worked for a while, then the video went to bright yellow. No idea why.
Re-started the program. Worked again for a while, but conditions had deteriorated even more and it was simply impossible to get a decent image because Saturn was getting lower in the sky and the haze was interfering. So I put the camera away and just looked at stuff for an hour or so before packing everything up.